Remote Library tutorials

Hello

I want to use Robot framework from an angular or node project
Saw that the remote library can make this possible but i don’t fully understand it’s functionality yet
Is there any good tutorials on remote library to help more learn about it?

Hello Omar,

As far as I know, remote library will allow you to do the reverse of what you’re trying to do: it allows Robot Framework to connect to other machines or non-Python libraries and execute function calls on them.

If you want to run Robot Framework from a node project, you’ll have to find or implement a (node) package that can run Python and get return values from it.

An introduction can be found here: robotframework/RemoteInterface: Introduction to the remote interface with a list of available remote servers (github.com)

Thanks for the answer
This is what i need : for example instead of going to pycharm and typing the command to execute a robot test case
I want to build an angular user interface with the test case included in it and it runs the robot test directly from the interface when i click “execute” button

Any ideas?

That sounds similar to spawning Selenium automation from a webpage UI. I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. Your Angular UI probably will have to interface to a (node.js?) web/api server, unless you build a desktop angular app using Electron, etc. which gives you local access to the machine’s filesystem and shell execution ability. In either case, from the Angular UI, it passes the needed info to code that executes a shell call on the (same) machine, which is a call to run RF with the specified test cases.

If you want the machine running test to be not local to Angular UI, then that would be the web/api server route, where the test execution happens on the web/api server machine. Your web/api server can be powered by node or it could be any other platform framework like python Django, etc.

And I’m not sure, but there might already be some such UI interface to RF that’s not RIDE/pycharm if you search around. But it might not be Angular based though.

You could also make a small FastAPI implementation that has the test cases has (dynamic) endpoints and that executes them on a GET on that endpoint. You could return the test outcome in the Response. Since FastAPI provides a OpenAPI / swagger page out of the box, you get your web interface for free.