Chrome only shows "data:," in the address bar

When I try to open a Chrome web browser all that appears in the address bar is “data:,”. The page never forwards to my target.

My code:

Library         SeleniumLibrary

*** Test Cases ***
Test Chrome
    open browser    https://google.com      chrome
    sleep           5s
    close all browsers

My Chrome is version 126.0.6478.183 and my web driver is version126.0.6478.182.

This same code works fine in Edge and Firefox.

What could be causing this issue?

I see this in the console:

DevTools listening on ws://127.0.0.1:64229/devtools/browser/731cdff6-9e04-4fc3-a1e7-cb3bd55e1f67
Created TensorFlow Lite XNNPACK delegate for CPU.
Test Chrome                                                           | FAIL |
SessionNotCreatedException: Message: session not created: DevToolsActivePort file doesn't exist
Stacktrace:
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF7CBCCEEB2+31554]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBC47EE9]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB0872A]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB45614]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB3FA34]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB3BB3B]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB88794]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB87DF0]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB7CDD3]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB4A33B]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBB4AED1]
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF7CBFD8B2D+3217341]
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF7CC025AF3+3532675]
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF7CC01B0F0+3489152]
        GetHandleVerifier [0x00007FF7CBD7E786+750614]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBC5376F]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBC4EB24]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBC4ECB2]
        (No symbol) [0x00007FF7CBC3E17F]
        BaseThreadInitThunk [0x00007FF8C7477374+20]
        RtlUserThreadStart [0x00007FF8C75DCC91+33]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chrometest                                                            | FAIL |
1 test, 0 passed, 1 failed
==============================================================================

Hi,

This might not be a chrome/chromedriver issue. A difference would have give you a warning in the console, and most probably wouldn’t stop start and redirection.

Did you tried to modify and/or disable some of the chrome options:

${chrome_options}    --no-sandbox    --disable-dev-shm-usage --disable-extensions

Then

Open Browser    https://google.com    chrome    options=${chrome_options}

Maybe you could narrow down the problem.

Regards
Charlie

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I tried what you suggested, but I just get an error:

AttributeError: 'Options' object has no attribute '--no-sandbox --disable-dev-shm-usage --disable-extensions'

I tried specifying just one attribute at a time, but still get the AttributeError.

Code:

Library         SeleniumLibrary

*** Variables ***
${chrome_options}   --no-sandbox    --disable-dev-shm-usage    --disable-extensions

*** Test Cases ***
Test Chrome
    Open Browser    https://google.com    chrome    options=${chrome_options}
    sleep           5s
    close all browsers

Hi,

Yes sorry, I think you should use Evaluate and then Call Method as following.
Then pass the ${chrome_options} as options of the Open Browser keyword :

Test Chrome
    ${chrome_options}    Evaluate    sys.modules['selenium.webdriver'].ChromeOptions()    sys, selenium.webdriver
    Call Method    ${chrome_options}    add_argument    --disable-dev-shm-usage
    Call Method    ${chrome_options}    add_argument    --no-sandbox
    Call Method    ${chrome_options}    add_argument    --disable-extensions

Open Browser    ${url}    chrome    options=${chrome_options}

Let us know if this works better.

Regards.
Charlie

The code you supplied appears to doesn’t cause any errors, but it still does not help getting Chrome to work.

I’m seeing a trace that is similar to the one I posted earlier.

Am I correct in assuming that the --disable-dev-shm-usage argument should be disabling the devtools? I still see the following message when running my code:

DevTools listening on ws://127.0.0.1:54160/devtools/browser/69e0ed97-b8f4-4bac-a0f3-c5b794869271
Created TensorFlow Lite XNNPACK delegate for CPU.

BTW, I appreciate the help. I’m very new to RobotFramework and errors like this are way over my head.

Something I probably should have mentioned earlier is that I’m running my tests from a PyCharm terminal window. Not sure if that makes any difference.

If I switch the browser from chrome to edge or firefox I don’t have any issues, so I’m fairly confident that I have everything installed correctly.

Hi again,

Well… let’s get to the base then.
Can you check or try the following:

• After Open Browser, use Go To ${url} keyword, see if it makes a difference
  • Chrome starts, but it looks like the driver is not available. Is Chromedriver set in PATH on your PC? As Edge and Firefox work, maybe the issue is linked only to the driver access
  • Check in CMD or shell chromedriver --version and /or verify you have only one version there, and it’s the one you expect
  • Can you tell what are RF / SeleniumLibrary and Selenium versions are used for info (pip list)?

The message you have seems correct to me, DevTools mention and TensorFlow are usual.

About disable-dev-shm-usage it’s not about DevTools, it disables the use of shared and limited cache folder in specific environnment. Folder is used to speed up access, but sometimes in venv, docker… the small size of this folder lead to issues.

Let us know

Regards

Adding “Go To ${url}” did not make any difference.

The driver is in the same location as my Edge and Firefox drivers. It is on the PATH.

I’m using the Chrome driver Win64 version of ChromeDriver 126.0.6478.182 (5b5d8292ddf182f8b2096fa665b473b6317906d5-refs/branch-heads/6478@{#1776})

My Chrome version is 126.0.6478.183 … Do you think .182 vs .183 could be the issue? I doubt it myself.

Selenium is version 4.23.0. I don’t see SeleniumLibrary or anything similar listed. I also had 4.22.0 installed earlier but did an upgrade install to ensure I had the latest version.

Well thanks for the answers.

The chrome difference version I don’t think. Already run updated browser with n-1 version chromedriver. You get a warning from RF, but it can work.

Selenium driver is 4.23.0, but should have also a robotframework-seleniumlibrary installed. A version like 6.x.0 (latest is 6.4.0).
Here are the info: python until 3.11, RF 7.0, selenium driver until 4.21 and Seleniumlibrary 6.4.0:

You should verify Seleniumlibrary installation (or use pip to install/update) and versions compatibility as well.

Regards
Charlie

My testing was mixed up with another project in PyCharm, so I’ve created a new project and new venv.

I’ve used pip to install robotframework-selenium library v6.3.0. Selenium is there at v4.23.0. Robotframework is v7.0.1.

Still doing the same thing.

This message makes me wonder why it thinks that Chrome has crashed. I used the Windows task manager to verify that Chrome is running from the correct location, and it stays open after the error occurs.

(The process started from chrome location C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe is no longer running, so ChromeDriver is assuming that Chrome has crashed.)

At this point I’m thinking of throwing in the towel. All I can think of is that my office administrator has some odd security setting for Chrome, or on WIndows that is affecting things.

Hi,

Yes I understand. The fact that your IDE with the setup, versions… works on Edge and Firefox points out an issue with chrome access.
Maybe indeed something on the admin conf doesn’t allow/blocks somewhere.

I saw this last parameter to workaround automation detection tools eventually:

Call Method    ${options}    add_experimental_option    useAutomationExtension    ${FALSE}

Beyond this I do not have any other clue unfortunately. Maybe somebody on the forum have other hints.

Regards
Charlie