Robot-executor: A GUI for Robot Framework Runs

Hi All,

I have created a Gui-application in python to run the Robot Framework Test cases.

Please have a look at share the feedback.

Here are few highlights.

• Application to run the Robot Framework Test From the File System with following features.
  • Group Robot Test Cases from different Folders and Group them in batch.
  • Search Test using Robot Tags
  • Run/Track the batch execution status in real time.
  • Bookmarks your frequently used test sets to create batch easily.
  • Run Robot Batch in multiple threads to seed up the execution.
  • Designed to suite Mobile and Web test Automation in mind.
  • This application is written in Python3.7. Not tested for Python 3.8
  • Can be integrated with Microfocus ALM Authentication.
  • Download the Historical data in csv format.
  • Dashboard for Historical Data (e.g. Test Executions)
2 Likes

Wow cool!

I will definitely have a look to it!

1 Like

@mdhiman
Maybe one small optimization:

You have named is robot-executor.
Nearly all add-ons for RobotFramework have the prefix robotframework on pypi. Which makes it a lot easier to find it.

You may consider to change it to robotframework-executor to get more users

Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks @René. Agreed. I have changed the name to robotframework-executor. https://pypi.org/project/robotframework-executor/

@mdhiman maybe example will change to pip3 install robotframework-executor, not pip install robot-executor

1 Like

@nixuewei this have already been done. Thanks for sharing the feedback.

is this actively maintained ?

Hi Mandeep,

Nice, congrats on creating a good looking application, looks like an application people will find useful :crossed_fingers:t2:

You mention ALM Authentication in your readme, is that Microfocus ALM (aka Quality Centre) or something else? also you didn’t mention what that feature does? I’m guessing your posting test results, but you probably want to expand that area of your documentation.

Wish you all the best with this project.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I am glad you like it.
Yes I try to keep it up to date with RF version.
I also have some plans to add some more features to it.

Yes, for ALM it just post some test status in ALM. Nothing more than that.

If you have any specific requirement for ALM, please let me know. I might be able to add that for you.

Thanks
Mandeep

Hi Mandeep,

Actually I have no need for your application at the moment, so I was just making some suggestions and being supportive. Now I’m aware of it I will however recommend your tool to people who could benefit from it.

My comment about ALM is because it’s not clear in your documentation what that feature is or does.
My experience with test tools (both commercial and open source) is that clear documentation makes all the difference to whether or not testers will use them or not. that is why I spend nearly as much time on a release on documentation as coding with my tools.

Dave.

Hi Mandeep,

Some Ideas for you:

• Make your ALM integration into a plugin, documenting how the plugin connects to your app, then your or others can add plugins for alternative test tracking systems
  • Add a configurable “open with” option to open test cases in people’s preferred editor

Dave.

Thanks Dave for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mandeep

1 Like

Hi Mandeep,

if this tool is maintained. I need help in setting it up for my Ubuntu Server and Access it using IP/hostname.

Currently I am getting error:

root@titan:/usr/local/bin# roboapp
MoTTY X11 proxy: Unsupported authorisation protocol
MoTTY X11 proxy: Unsupported authorisation protocol
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/roboapp”, line 8, in
sys.exit(main())
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/robo_app/init.py”, line 55, in main
app = application.Application()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/robo_app/application.py”, line 15, in init
super().init(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python3.10/tkinter/init.py”, line 2299, in init
self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className, interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: couldn’t connect to display “localhost:10.0”